Frequently Asked Questions
How do I check out a book or other item from the Library?
To check out a book or other item, present your Roberts Wesleyan College or Northeastern Seminary ID card at the Resource Desk.
What types of resources are available for checkout at the Library?
- Academic books
- Leisure reading books
- Available for in Library use only:
- Headphones, phone chargers, power strips
- Graphing calculators
How do I know when my book or other item is due?
Undergraduate students can borrow a book for 30 days with one renewal. The loan period for graduate students is 120 days and for doctoral students 180 days. Our Borrower Policy lists loan periods, renewal periods, and fines for all item types and patron groups.
When you check out an item, you will receive a receipt through email that includes a list of items loaned and the due date(s).
To check the due date for your items online, Sign In to your account, and click on the Loans page.
How do I renew an item I have borrowed?
Generally, one renewal is allowed per item, and the duration is the same length as the initial loan period.
To renew a Golisano Library book online, Sign In to your account, and click on the Loans page. Any item eligible for renewal will have a Renew button to the right of the due date.
How do I place a Hold Request for an item?
You may want to place a Hold Request for an item if:
- A) Someone else has it checked out and you would like to borrow it next. (Another option, in this case, is to submit an Interlibrary Loan request).
- B) You would prefer to pick up the item at the Resource Desk rather than having to locate in on the shelf.
To place a Hold Request, follow these steps:
- Search for the book.
- Click on the title of the book to open the detailed record.
- Scroll down to the section titled Get It, and if you have not already done so, follow the prompt to Sign in.
- Click the Request link.
- If you need the item to be held for longer than one week, change the Not Needed After date.
- Click Request again to complete process.
- When the item is ready to pick up at the Resource Desk, you will receive an email notification.
What happens if an item I have borrowed becomes overdue?
The Library does not charge overdue fines for circulating books. Overdue fines for other materials, such as Course Reserves items and equipment are listed in the Borrower Policy.
Who should I contact with a question about my Library account?
The Golisano Library does not have the item(s) I am looking for. Do I have any other options for borrowing library materials?
Interlibrary Loan – Current faculty, staff, and students use this service if you would like to borrow the book from another library and pick it up at the Golisano Library.
Public Libraries – Current students living in Monroe County are eligible for a public library card. To set up an account, bring your student ID card to any of the public library locations.
RRLC Access Card – Graduate students and faculty members who require access to additional research materials may apply for this card at the Resource Desk to borrow from other Rochester-area academic libraries.